Saturday, January 10, 2009

Kick Myself

One of the first signs of becoming older, is that you wake up earlier for no reason. You also take a nap in the middle day. Herein lies my problem.
I had it all planned out, to clean before the cleaning lady arrived. (yeah, I know...but she wouldn't charge me so little if she saw the "before") I washed two loads of laundry and by 930, I was sipping a latte at Dunkin Donuts reading The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I read several chapters for an hour and headed back to check on my clothes in the dryer. I even took my mound of clothes to the dry cleaner.
Productive.
That was until the cleaning ladies left and I basked in the glory of cleanliness and decided it was a great time to catch a quick snooze before I headed to my planned day of hanging at the bookstore and going to that free yoga class in Itaewon.
433pm. Damn. I just woke up and it is too late now to make the class. Everything takes so long to get to in Korea. If I had a car, I doubt it would be any quicker. Taking the subway takes about an hour and some and the bus can be thirty minutes or more.
I could just kick myself for sleeping my day away.
Granted it was 3 degrees celsius...or 37 degrees or something like that. So the television in the elevator says. Tonight it is -9 or about 16 degress. Regardless of conversion...it is mutha freaking freezing.
Well, there is always tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lou,

Very interesting life you lead. I have just returned from a visit in Seoul. I was once Korean, adopted to Sweden, now a mother, lawyer, wife and European. This was my first time in Korea. I must say I did not find it very agreable. Different, interesting but I could not live there. I think you are very brave and very strong. Good for you.

I recognize the thoughts you have about yourself as a Korean but also as an alien. I felt very different in Korea but not in the same way I feel different in Sweden/Europe. In The western world I feel that I can fend for myself, I know the languages and I can play the games. In Korea there is only one thing to play, money. That is not at all interesting, that becomes so boring and poor.

I found Seoul very superficial and materialistic. All women were enhanced through plastic surgery and I could feel the hierarchic- and chauvinistic thinking breathing down my neck. It made me feel sick and actually I got the flue in Korea, had to go to a non-english speaking doctor and he gave me antibiotics that made my head spin.

It is funny how life turns out. I left Korea a poor rejected and lonley child. I returned as a wealthy European woman with lots of criticism against the Korean society. I do not know if I´ll ever return again to Korea, maybe on a transfer I´d stay for a few days, maybe.

You are very courageous and you´ll surely find a nice Korean man if that is what you really want (are you sure? I do not mean that re. their appearances, I mean that more as a cultural thing) Good luck to you! Happy 2009