Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Baby Steps

One of many reasons why I moved to Korea was to volunteer and help biracial Korean children living here.

So many children are abandoned by their fathers and often their mothers (social stigma) that they are often placeless children in a society that is homogeneous. These children will face many prejudices, discrimination, psychological and emotional issues. Along with that the prospect of becoming a successful member of society is slim.

I also found out that 2012 Korea will end international adoptions. Leaving me to wonder, what will happen to these children. They won't let single people adopt, so I can't do that. Although I would. The only thing I can do is volunteer while I am living here. Which depends on the winter ahead if it will be two to four years. Brrr....

Anyways...I had to literally harass the Pearl S. Buck Foundation here to respond to me. Here is an excerpt of the email:

Generally, PSBFK is looking for volunteers into some categories and that are ;
  • Document Translation - My organization has lot's of document to translate from Korean to English.
  • Mentorship Volunteering - PSBFK is supporting for the bi-racial children to have a mentor who can speak English and give inspiration to them.
  • Etc - Please, let me know what you can.

Well, you can guess which one I chose. I will take door number 2!

Then I got this weird email:


I am sorry to say that I had to ask a question, "Can you speak Korean?" before.

Because almost of our children cannot speak English so every volunteer needs ability for speaking Korean.

Uhhh....I was like are you SERIOUS? My Korean is preschool if that. Elementary at best. I can read characters, but unless the words are familiar to me, I have no clue. I can say basic things and understand okay. That is it. (By the way, I am taking Korean classes in February)

I had the Korean language teacher, a friend of mine, email this lady and tell her that I really wanted to help out in some form or fashion, plus I would teach them English, which is a highly prized skill here...for FREE. I mean parents shell out tons of bucks to send them to afterschool programs called hagwons and oh yeah all these English "teachers" over here are because of that.

She finally got back to me and understood my passion. I had the Korean language teacher practiacally beg to give my free time and services. Geesh.

Anyways, I am meeting her over the Lunar New Year. The journey will be about 100 minutes according to the subway guide.

I wonder if they have like a Big Brother/Sister deal.

That'll be cool. Will keep you posted.

1 comment:

matt said...

yeah they're really horrible about getting back to people. not sure if they're just overwhelmed or what but seems like they are missing out on a lot of potential volunteer help. my prior inquiries never got answered by their korea office, although their overseas offices responded. good luck and i'd like to come with sometime! xo