Friday, August 22, 2008

A Week In Review...

Sunday I went to church with some co-workers. It was nice to meet some friendly folks and get a little motivational inspiration.

The sermon was about God knows the end at the beginning and that your life is planned and not a random prediction.

I enjoyed the service, the pastor was quite humorous as well.

The only caveat is that it takes about an hour and a half to get there and church can last for 3 hours. Not to my liking.

I am not an avid religious enthusiast, nor do I proclaim to be of the Christian faith, but I do have faith in a higher power and sometimes you need a little inspiration in your life to proceed.

As for the week at school, it was busy and slowly but surely, I am adjusting to fit my student's needs.

Unlike when I taught in the inner city, these kids come well prepared with supplies and get additional assistance outside of school. Therefore, I am not trying to get them to know basic facts like multiplication. However, they lack comprehension skills and basic logic. Common sense just can't be taught. It is a new challenge for me to teach ESL kids and I will be working hard to get them to process information and devlop an understanding of what they are reading.

I also got my Alien Resident Card, so I am officially...an alien!!!
Cell phones are mad expensive to start off here for a foreigner, I am expected to shell out 150-200 for a cell. Yeah, no free phones for us. Even though the school is offering some, I am going to shop around.

Got paid this week and I am going to try and live off my won money only. I get paid a portion in won and the rest in US. I am going to transfer the US to my home account and pay off bills and invest in my retirement. I don't have any grandiose plans for saving like serious thousands here like some people. I just want to be able to rid myself of some debts and travel.

I am making the same amount as I did back home except I don't pay for a place to live or a car and the car expenses, which gives me a whole lot more money to handle business.

Finally found a pedicure place, which is very nice and has like every color you can imagine. It is about 30 bucks for a basic pedicure...with no scrub. Boo. Hey, I am not mad at the Koreans for charging more for this walking culture's peds. I have seen some rough heels out here. I chose a baby blue color.

Also, I went out to dinner with some Korean staff at the school and the guys were cool. We ate Korean food, of course and had dessert.

Actually, all week I have been eating ice cream or gelato or frozen yogurt after my meals. Korean food makes me crave something sweet and if you know me, I don't even like sweets.

I also found a DVD rental place and I am renting seasons of The Wire and Prison Break. Prison Break is fantastic, cute guys and thuggishness. Oh so sexy. HA! The Wire is alright so far, I am going to give it a chance but I am not interested so far.

For a down payment of 10 bucks you can rent 15 dollars worth of movies, considering that new releases are only 2 bucks and others are a dollar you can't beat that. Blockbuster can kiss my grits with that 5 dollar charge in the US.

Ever so steadily, I am getting settled here. I miss my family and friends and can't wait to see them this Christmas. I found a student at my school to cat sit for me while I am away so I am much more comfortable about leaving for three weeks. :)

Oh, I am the worst about taking pics. I keep forgeting to charge the camera or taking it with me. So I will make a vow to do better. :) Be patient with a girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!