Thursday, August 28, 2008

To Be or Not to Be...Korean

I am on the Korean Blog List now.

www.koreanbloglist.com

Which is cool, because all those who are interested in Korean lifestyles can take sneak peeks into lives of those living here.

I wanted to post my blog to help those of the darker hue be able to get a perspective on life here. Plus, I wanted to battle all the majority white perspectives. People view life in different lenses, you know.

Here is the funny thing.

I am listed as a "Koreans living in Korea". My first attempt to register I was denied, because I wanted to be "Foreigners living in Korea".

Here we go.

All my life, I have dumbfounded those that are culturally unaware.

So I find it funny that yes, I was born in Korea, no I don't speak the language and I am an American citizen...I am still a Korean? Korean culture barely recognizes, mixed people who are part Korean. Only until Hines Ward won a Superbowl MVP, did they acknowledge his black Korean self. So, yeah I doubt that I am Korean unless I cure cancer or win a bunch of Olympic medals.

I am a foreigner in my birth country.

In the US, I am always asked, where am I from...No one wants to hear Seattle. Atlanta...or any continental US state.They want to know where am I reallllly from.

So, yeah. Makes no sense.

No comments: