Saturday, July 26, 2008

Today

It has been a lifelong dream. To find out more about myself and the elusive country that is Korea. Not much is known about the country I call my birthplace. Of course there are dozens of assumptions. I have been asked if I was going to North Korea for example. Yeah, like that is likely.

But everyone is like....Korean!

And that is different how? I lived in ATL for five years, where black people are the majority everywhere I go. I worked at a predominately black school. Two white kids, maybe handful Hispanic children and four white teachers. So on and so forth.

Your point?

But you will be an outsider!

I am mixed. I am perpetually an outsider. And?

Moving on....

Not many people put Korea on their to-see-and-do list. Which is fine by me. I decided to go to Korea for personal reasons and not leisurely ones. Although there are definitely sights to be seen!

At 30 years old, I felt that with all my experiences there was another part of me missing. Who am I? Of course I know that my blood is Korean and black, but what does it mean to be Korean?
What is it that I am at times and what is it that I am not.

And good God, why is my mother the way that she is. I always wrote it off as a cultural thing. So maybe I just want to verify it.

It is no coincidence to have reconnected with my Korean side of my family in the past couple of weeks. The timing was impeccable. For the first time in my life, I will meet my uncles and cousins who reside in Suwon one day in the years ahead.

I wonder how that will play out considering the language barriers that will divide us while simultaneously the familial bond that will draw us close.

There are so many things to discover and although I will be in awe of the new experiences to be had.

But...Forever I love Atlanta.

The good, bad and ugly of it all. It is home.

Can't wait to see you all this Christmas.

No comments: